Friday, February 02, 2007

The Devil IS in the Details

This is the email I received from Amy Cohen, who does something for Gather.com:

Hi RobRoy,

Since your story was posted on 1/16, it was removed on 1/30, after 14 days, per the contest guidelines.

Best,

Amy

Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn,

Damn.

Here I was feeling all self-righteous and holier-than-thou when my first chapter of Tears of Heaven "disappeared" from the contest.

So here were my final results:

Votes - 31 people read (or claimed to) my first chapter

Comments - 15 people felt compelled to give me feedback, most were positive, some ecstatic (thanks friends and family), one was just odd

Score - 6.1 out of 10. That's not a great score by any measure, it means some people threw 1's in there just because.

Overall, this was billed as a American Idol for Writers, and I can certainly see the parallels. I'm almost certainly not going to the next round, but that's alright. If i'd paid more attention to the rules, I would have pushed more people to vote sooner.

It turns out I am an above-average writer with some general appeal.

That's not a bad thing to learn.

3 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I balem me, I started reading it and then went back to "The Origins of the European Economy." Not because I wanted to.... I promsied I woudl go back and give you your kudos but alas, I am nt evenr sure what happened to January. Februaru seems like a dreary-drug indiced haze.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger RobRoy said...

I blame you as well, and not just for this. You remember that time I fell out of the treehouse and hit my head? I'm sure you engineered that. And global warming? I'm fairly sure it's a communist plot.

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting...I hope things work out better for you. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com