Thursday, January 10, 2008

What the Prick!?

As part of my company's "get tough on health" we had our "biometric" exam today. All the questions were asked via machines that determine heart rate and whatnot. They also did a cholesterol blood-sugar thingy which involved being stabbed in the finger.

My station nurse poked my finger just fine, took a ton of blood, and while I sat woozy from it, I watched as she dabbed a bit on the test strip for the cholesterol exam and then promptly tossed it away without looking at the blood-sugar exam at all.

"I just threw that away, didn't I?" she asked me.

If I'd eaten, I might have had a witty retort, something in the Here's Your Sign category. But being in pain from the twelve-inch spike she used the first time, woozy from the loss of blood and low on sugar already, I just nodded dumbly.

"We'll just have to use another finger," and she laughed as if we were old friends sharing a joke that we both found beyond humorous and couldn't contain our mutual mirth.

I did not smile.

Then, she took an Band-Aid and wrapped it around my finger.

Yes, the finger that wasn't bleeding such that she had to stab me a second time. That finger.

So now, the second and third fingers of my left hand are completely unusable.

Where's my sign?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com