Monday, June 18, 2007

Papa

A number of years ago, I was asked to speak at my wife's church on Mother's Day. It is not often that non-members speak at church, not out of fear of what they will say, but rather that the talk, as it is called, is supposed to be a teaching/learning experience, and thus is better given by a member rather than a non-member. Think of it as asking a Catholic to stand in place of the priest during the homily.

It can be done, but it's not a regular occurance.

I only mention this because the conclusion of my speech was aimed specifically at my own mother:

[Y]ou did not know that your children would grow so fast or go so far, but as a loving teacher, a nurturer, with sacrifice and God’s blessings we have prospered.

I say this because it equally applies to my father as well. While I gained a certain dry humor from my father, a degree of stubborness to rival various extinct mules, and a temper that can go from zero to psychopathic-killer in 2.5 seconds, I also learned some very valuable lessons:

1 - True friends are to be considered a gift. My father would, and in some ways has, given the very shirt off his back to those people he considers to be friends. His old mining partner, Jack Vanoy, though as curmudgeonly and difficult a breed of gnarly, twisted oak as you will ever find, was always treated with dignity and respect. I know that, when asked, my father did not question a call for assistance, but jumped in the truck, slammed the gas and drove as fast, legally of course and obeying all the rules of the road, as possible.

2 - Money isn't everything. There is something to be said for being a skin-flint and tight-fisted where money is concerned. Certainly, many of our culture's problems stem directly from the get-it-right-now instant gratification mentality. This has never extended, for my father, toward those around him. To be certain, while working in the corporate world he could have negotiated with the devil's own advocate and come away with a peach of a contract, but for himself, his deals are, if not completely fair, then slanted toward the other side.

3 - Education, education, education. My father came from a time where education wasn't as important as experience. He has done more with his 60-odd years of life than I ever hope to accomplish. But the days when experience-only was a determining factor have faded to the point that even a good mechnic requires a wall full of degrees. My father hammered this concept home, so that now, of three siblings, I boast the least education with my measly Bachelor of Science in Speech Communication.

So, dad, Papa, you did not know that your children would grow so fast or go so far, but as a loving teacher, a nurturer, with sacrifice we have prospered. Thanks dad.

1 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All true, of course, but he still isn't going to put you back into the will.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com